Swedish Regiments during the days of the Allotment System  


[Previous page] [Homepage]  

[The Allotment System] [Swedish wars] [The Navy & the Army Fleet

Distribution of regiments per county:
[Overview, Infantry] [Overview, Cavalry] [Overview, Navy] [Overview, all regiments]
[Overview, the New Allotment System] [Graphical overview of the regiment's history
[Map, Swedish counties] [Map, Swedish provinces] [Links, regimental history, soldiers etc] [Maps

Content of this page, Regimental history:
[General] [Infantry] [Cavalry] [Artillery] [Navy]

Infantry

Infantry was the name of the army units that fought by foot as well as was transported by foot. Therefore, in the beginning they were called foot soldiers. The term infantry wasn’t in use until the beginning of the 17th century.  

The smallest tactical unit used by the infantry in battle was the battalion. A regiment of 1200 soldiers had 8 companies of 150 men. They were formed into two battalions of 600 men each.
Each company had 6 "korpralskap" (corporalship?) of 24 soldiers and one corporal, in total 25 men.
During the Great Nordic War (1700 - 1721) a 1/3 of the soldiers in each company were armed with pikes while 2/3 were armed with muskets.

The first company in each regiment was called the Life Company and was under command of the colonel. The colonel was also the commander of the first battalion while the lieutenant colonel was the commander of the second battalion.

Regiments:

Bohuslän Regiment  Jönköping Regiment  Second Life Grenadier Regiment  Västerbotten Regiment  Infantry regiments in Finland 
Dal/Dalecarlia Regiment  Kalmar Regiment  Skaraborg Regiment  Västgöta Regiment  Temporary units (the männing-regiments) 
Garde du Corps  Kronoberg Regiment  Småland Grenadier Corps  Västgötadal Regiment  Other infantry regiments 
Gotland Regiment  Life Regiment Grenadiers,  Svea Life Guards  Västmanland Regiment   
Göta Life Guards  North Scanian Infantry Regiment  Södermanland Reiment  Västernorrland Regiment   
Hälsinge Regiment  Norrbotten Regiment  South Scanian Infantry regiment  Älvsborg Regiment   
Jämtland Rifle Regiment  Närke-Värmland Regiment  Uppland Regiment  Östgöta Infantary Regiment   


The provincial regiments of the Allotment System

1, The Uppland Regiment, I8

Swedish name: Upplands regemente

The regiment was first established in 1626 as the Uppland Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in December 5, 1682.

In 1904 the regiment received the name The Uppland Infantry Regiment. In 1928 the regiment once again received the name The Uppland Regiment.

The regiment was disestablished in 1957. The Uppland Signal Regiment moved into the barracks of the Uppland Regiment the very same year.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Uppland in the 16th century. In the 1620's, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Uppland fänikor and from fänikor in the provinces of Dalarna and Västmanland.
In 1626 the Grand Regiment was split up into three independent regiments, The Uppland Regiment, The Västmanland Regiment and the Dal Regiment (The Dalecarlia Regiment).

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Uppland regiment was then referred to as the "1st Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the province of Uppland. The County of Uppsala contained 957 of the "rotar" while 243 "rotar" were from the county of Stockholm.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Hundra härads Company, Rasbo Company, Sigtuna Company, Hagunda Company and Bälings Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with yellow cuffs (1675). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1691.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1912, Uppsala. Training camp: Prior to 1680 Kronoparken, from1680 Öresundsbro and from 1681 Polacksbacken (south of the castle).

The Official Regimental Colors: Red and yellow

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Hundra Härads Company
2 Rasbo Company 6 Sigtuna Company
3 Olands Company 7 Hagunda Company
4 Uppsala Company
(former Bälings Comp.)
8 Enköping Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Varberg 1565 Rügen 1678
Narva 1581 Düna 1701
Lützen 1632 Kliszow 1702
Warszawa 1656 Holovczyn 1708
Fredriksodde 1657 Helsingborg 1710
Tåget över Bält 1658 Svensksund 1790

 

The regiments

2, The Skaraborg Regiment, I9

Swedish name: Skaraborgs regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1624 as the Skaraborg Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1684.

In 1939 the regiment was extended with an armored battalion. In 1942 the regiment was reorganized into an armored regiment and received the name The Skaraborg Armored Regiment.
In 1963 the regiment once again received the name The Skaraborg Regiment.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Västergötland in the 1550's . In the 1613, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Västergötland fänikor and from fänikor in the provinces of Dalsland.
In 1624 the Grand Regiment was split up into three independent regiments, The Skaraborg Regiment, The Älvsborg Regiment and the Västgöta-Dal Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Skaraborg regiment was then referred to as the "Second Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the county of Skaraborg.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Vartofta Company, Skåninge Company, Kåkinds Company, Willska Company and Norra Wassbo Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Yellow coat with black cuffs (1676). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1689.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1913, Skövde. Training camp: From 1696 Axevalla hed.

The Official Regimental Colors: Black and yellow

Regimental Motto: Arvet förpliktar

Companies 1854:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Södra Vadsbo Company
2 Höjentorps Company 6 Norra Vadsbo Company
3 Vartofta Company 7 Kåkinds Company
4 Vilska Company 8 Skånings Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Varberg 1565 Warschau 1656
Narva 1581 Lund 1676
Lützen 1632 Landskrona 1677
Leipzig 1642 Malatitze 1708

 

The regiments

4, The Södermanland Regiment, I10 (P3, P10)  

Swedish name: Södermanlands regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1627 as the Södermanland Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in December 5th 1682.

In 1939 the regiment was extended with an armored battalion. In 1942 the regiment was reorganized into an armored (tank) regiment and received the name The Södermanland Armored Regiment (P3). In 1957 the regiment was reorganized into an armored infantry regiment and received the name The Södermanlan Regiment (I10).
In 1963 the regiment once again was reorganized into a armored (tank) regiment with the same name, The Södermanland Regiment (P10).

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Södermanland in the 16th century. After the War of Liberty of King Gustav Vasa, a permanent "fänika" was raised in the province of Södermanland. This "fänika" was later divided into two "fänikor", a north and a south Södermanland "fänika".
At the end of the 1500's there were three "fänikor" in Södermanland; the Rekarne-, the Gripsholm- and the Nyköping "fänika".

In the 1614, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Södermanland "fänikor" and from "fänikor" in the provinces of Närke and Värmland.
In 1627 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Södermanland Regiment and the Närke-Värmland Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Södermanland regiment was then referred to as the "4th Regiment".
The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the county of Södermanland.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Oppunda Company, Västra Rekarne Company, Nyköping Company, Östra Rekarne Company and Gripsholm Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Yellow coat with blue cuffs (1675). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1690.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1921, Strängnäs. Training camp: From 1774 Malma hed, Malmköping.

The Official Regimental Colors: Black and yellow

Commemoration Day: August 13 (in memory of the battle of Södra Stäket in 1719)

 

More about the  Södermanland Regiment (Swedish).

Companies 1854:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Strängnäs Company
2 Vingåkers Company 6 Öster Rekarne Company
3 Nyköpings Company 7 Väster Rekarne Company
4 Oppunda Company 8 Gripsholms Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Warszawa 1656 Helsingborg 1710
Fredriksodde 1658 Gadebusch 1712
Tåget över Bält 1658 Södra Stäket 1719
Fraustadt 1706

The regiments

5, The Kronoberg Regiment, I11

Swedish name: Kronobergs regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1623 as the Kronoberg Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in July 28th 1684.

In 1928 the regiment was extended with the Karlskrona Grenadier Regiment. This new unit formed the third battalion of the Kronoberg Regiment. The third battalion was however disestablished in 1939.
The regiment was disestablished in 1992.
Today a local defense district unit (försvarsområdesförband) carry the same name.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Småland (the counties of Kalmar and Kronoberg) in the 16th century.
King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from these Småland "fänikor".
In 1623 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Kronoberg Regiment and the Kalmar Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Kronoberg regiment was then referred to as the "5th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1100 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1100 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the south of Småland (the county of Kronoberg).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Albo Company, Norra Sunnerbo Company, Norrvidinge Company, Kinnevalds Company and Södra Sunnerbo Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Yellow coat with red cuffs (1676). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1692.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1920, Växjö. Training camp: From 1778 Axvalla hed, Alvesta.

The Official Regimental Colors: Red and yellow

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Ljungby Company
2 Skatelövs Company 6 Södra Sunnerbo Company
3 Kinnevalds Company 7 Allbo Company
4 Norrvidinge Company 8 Norra Sunnerbo Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Breitenfeld 1631 Warszawa 1705
Lützen 1632 Fraustadt 1706
Wittstock 1636 Holovczyn 1708
Landskrona 1677 Helsingborg 1710
Kliszow 1702 Valkeala 1790

The regiments

5, The Jönköping Regiment, I12

Swedish name: Jönköping regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1623 as the Jönköping Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in May 13 1685.

The regiment was disestablished in 1927. This year the Jönköping Regiment was merged with the Kalmar Regiment and formed a new regiment called the Jönköping-Kalmar regiment. The name was later changed to The North Småland Regiment (Norra Smålands regemente).

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Småland in the 16th century.
King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Småland "fänikor" and from "fänikor" in the province of Östergötland.
In 1623 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Jönköping Regiment and the Östgöta Infantry Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Kronoberg regiment was then referred to as the "5th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1100 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1100 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the northern and western parts of Småland (the county of Jönköping).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Norra Wedbo Company, Västra Härads Company, Wässbo Company, Ösbo härads Company and Wista härads Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with red cuffs (1678). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1692. However the uniform of the Jönköping Regiment had red cuffs/ lining instead of the regular yellow color.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1913, Jönköping. Training camp: From 1777 Skillingaryd.
The location of the primary Garrison of the new regiment, the North Småland Regiment is Eksjö, Småland.

The Official Regimental Colors: Red and yellow

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Mo Company
2 Norra Vedbo Company 6 Norra Vestbo Company
3 Västra Härads Company 7 Östbo Company
4 Vista Company 8 Södra Vestbo Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Lützen 1632 Malatitze 1708
Wittstock 1636 Helsingborg 1710

The regiments

7, The Dal/Dalecarlia Regiment, I13  

Swedish name: Dalregementet.

In English also known as the Dalecarlia Regiment.

The regiment was first established in 1621 as the Dal Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1621.
The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that
were raised in the province of Dalarna in 1542. In the 1620's, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from "fänikor" in the provinces of Dalarna, Uppland and Västmanland. The Grand Regiment was later divided into three independent regiments: The Dalecarlia Regiment, the Uppland Regiment and the Västmanland Regiment.
The conscript system (utskrivning) of recruiting soldiers was a very
hard burden on the people of Dalecarlia (Dalarna). As early as 1621 the farmers of Dalecarlia signed a contract with the Crown stating that they would provide 1,400 soldiers to the Dal Regiment. In return the farmers was exempted from having to serve as a soldier.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Dal regiment was then referred to as the "7th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1,200 rotar.
Hence, the Regiment had 1,200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the province of Dalarna (Dalecarlia).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Orsa Company, Rättviks Company, Gagnef Company, Mora Company and Västerdals Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with yellow cuffs and white scarfs (1679). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1690.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1908, Falun. Training camp: from 1676 Rommehed, Borlänge.

The Official Regimental Colors: Yellow and blue

See also: Campaigns of the Dal Regiment.

Companies 1854 :
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Vesterdals Company
2 Leksands Company 6 Orsa Company
3 Gagnef Company 7 Mora Company
4 Gustafs Company 8 Rättviks Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Lützen 1632 Düna 1701
Leipzig 1642 Kliszow 1702
Lund 1676 Holovczyn 1708
Landskrona 1677 Malatitze 1708
Narva 1700 Gadebusch 1712

The regiments

8, The Östgöta Infantry Regiment (First Life Grenadier Reg. ), I4

 

Swedish name: Östgöta infanteriregemente.

The regiment was first established in 1636 as the Östg����������ta Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1685.

In 1791 the regiment was merged with the Östgöta Cavalry Regiment and the infantry part of the regiments received the name; The "rotehåll" division of the Life Grenadier Regiment (Livgrenadjärsregementets rotehållsdivision). The cavalry regiment was then a dismounted regiment.
In 1816 the new regiment was divided and reorganized into the two old regiments. The former infantry regiment received the name the First Life Grenadier Regiment (Första Livgrenadjärregementet, I4) and the former cavalry regiment received the name the Second Life Grenadier Regiment (Andra Livgrenadjärregementet, I5).

The regiment was disestablished in 1927. This year the two regiments once again were merged and received the name Life Grenadier Regiment (I4).

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Östergötland in the 16th century.
King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the "fänikor" in Östergötland and from "fänikor" in the province of Småland (County of Jönköping).
In 1623 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Jönköping Regiment and the Östgöta Infantry Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Östgöta Regiment was then referred to as the "8th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the province of Östergötland.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Ydre Company, Östanstångs Company, Kinds Company, Västanstångs Company and Vadstena Company.

A grenadierA greandier's hat was originally a soldier armed with hand grenades. The grenadier first fired his musket and then he would light the fuse of the grenade and throw it. The next move was to charge the enemy with the bayonet mounted on the musket. In each company there were 12 grenadiers.
The grenadiers were the first to be equipped with bayonets (beginning of the 18tn century). They were also equipped with a kind of grenade rifles.
Later when the range of fire of the muskets increased the role of the grenadier changed. In stead the best grenadiers formed an elite unit.
The grenadiers wore a special hat. See image to the right.
At the end of the 18th century the grenadier units became ordinary infantry units. 

Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with black cuffs (1678). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1692.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1922, Linköping. Training camp: From the 17th century Malmen, Linköping.

The Official Regimental Colors: White

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Ombergs Company
2 Stångebro Company 6 Vreta Klosters Company
3 Kinds Company 7 Motala Company
4 Östanstångs Company 8 Ydre Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Lützen 1632 Gadebusch 1712
Leipzig 1642 Walkiala 1790
Helsingborg 1710

The regiments

10, The Hälsinge Regiment, I14  

Swedish name: Hälsinge regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1630 as the Joakim Brahe's Regiment. The name was changed to the Hälsinge Regiment in 1634. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in September 9th 1682.

The regiment was disestablished in 1992.
Today a local defense district unit (försvarsområdesförband) carry the same name.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the provinces of Gästrikland and Hälsingland in the 1550's. In 1552 there was a Norrland fänika (Hälsingland is in the region of Norrland) and in 1563 there was a Hälsninge fänika.
King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from these "fänikor" in 1615. This Grand Regiment was called The Norrland Grand Regiment (Norrlands storregemente) and numbered 3000 soldiers.
In 1623 the Grand Regiment was divided into two independent regiments, The Hälsinge Regiment and The Västerbotten Regiment.
The Hälsinge Regiment's "rotar" were located in southern Norrland and the Västerbotten Regiment's "rotar" in northern Norrland. The "rotar" in the provinces of Medelpad and Ångermanland (in mid Norrland) belonged to the Västerbotten Regiment.
The Hälsinge Regiment was the second regiment to be allotted after the Dalecarlia Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Hälsinge regiment was then referred to as the "10th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the County of Gävleborg (300 in the province of Gästrikland and 900 in the province of Hälsingland).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Alsta Company, Delsbo Company, Ovansjö Company, Arbrå Company and Jervsö Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with green cuffs (1675) and red coat with green cuffs (1679). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1694.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1909, Gävle. Training camp: Between 1630 and 1689 Florhed and from 1689 Mohed, Söderhamn.

The Official Regimental Colors: Black and white

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Färnebo Company
2 Forssa Company 6 Arbrå Company
3 Järvsö Company 7 Alfta Company
4 Delsbo Company 8 Ovansjö Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Novgorod 1611 Narva 1700
Warszawa 1656 Düna 1701
Fredriksodde 1657 Jakobstadt 1704
Tåget över Bält 1658 Gemäuerthof 1705
Lund 1676 Gadebusch 1712
Landskrona 1677

The regiments

11, The Älvsborg Regiment, I15  

Swedish name: Älvsborgs regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1624 as the Älvsborg Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1683.

In 1949 the regiment was reorganized into an armored infantry regiment. In 1963 the regiment once again was reorganized and this time back to a regular infantry regiment.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the provinces of Västergötland and Dalsland around 1552. In the 1613, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Västergötland fänikor and from the fänikor in the province of Dalsland. The Grand Regiment numbered 3000 soldiers.

In 1624 the Grand Regiment was split up into three independent regiments, The Skaraborg Regiment, The Älvsborg Regiment and the Västgöta-Dal Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Älvsborg Regiment was then referred to as the "11th Regiment".

In 1624, when the regiment was established, the provinces in the south and south west of Sweden (Skåne, Blekinge, Halland and Bohuslän) belonged to Denmark. The province of Västergötland (where the Älvsborg Regiment was established) was then a border province facing Denmark. The provinces of Skåne, Blekinge, Halland and Bohuslän became Swedish territory in 1658.

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the southern parts of province of Västergötland.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's company, Södra Kinds Company, Norra Kinds Company, Redwågs Company, Åhs Company and Giesenäs Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with yellow cuffs (1677). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1691.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1914, Borås. Training camp: Between 1685 and 1770 Timmele hed, Ulricehamn, between 1770 and 1783 Kila hed, Borås, between1784 and 1796 Örby hed, Borås and from 1797 Fristad hed, Borås.

The Official Regimental Colors: Yellow and black

Companies 1854:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Vedens Company
2 Marks Company 6 Norra Kinds Company
3 Södra Kinds Company 7 Gäseneds Company
4 Ås Company 8 Redvägs Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Leipzig 1642 Gadebusch 1712
Helsingborg 1710

The regiments

12, The Västgötadal Regiment, I16 (The Halland Regiment)  

Swedish name: Västgöta-Dals regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1624 as the Västgöta-Dal Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in March 16 1685.

In 1902 the regiment moved to the province of Halland and received the name the Halland Regiment. The regiment was organized as a bicycle infantry regiment between 1942 and 1952.

Before the Västgöta-Dal Regiment moved to the province of Halland there were a battalion in Halland called The Halland Infantry Battalion (I28). This battalion was established in 1813. However this battalion did not become a part of the new Halland Regiment.
Instead, the Halland battalion merged with the Värmland Rifle Corps (Värmlands fältjägarkår) in 1902 and formed the new regiment The Waxholm Grenadier Regiment (Waxholms grenadjärregemente, I26). In 1928 this regiment became a part of the Göta Life Guards (Göta livgarde) as this regiment's first battalion.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the provinces of Västergötland and Dalsland around 1552. In the 1613, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Västergötland fänikor and from the fänikor in the province of Dalsland. The Grand Regiment numbered 3000 soldiers.

In 1624 the Grand Regiment was split up into three independent regiments, The Skaraborg Regiment, The Älvsborg Regiment and the Västgöta-Dal Regiment.
As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Västgöta-Dal Regiment was then referred to as the "12th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. The regiment's "rotar" were located within the provinces of Västergötland (600) and Dalsland (600).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Sun and Nordals Company, Tössbo Company, Kållands Company, Vedbo Company and Kullings Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with yellow cuffs (1676). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1691.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1907, Halmstad. Training camp: Between 1685 and 1863 Nygårdsängen, Värnersborg, from 1863 Grunnebro hed. In Halland: Skedala, Halmstad

The Official Regimental Colors: Yellow and black (The Halland Regiment: White and blue).

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Valbo Company
2 Väne Company 6 Vedbo Company
3 Kållands Company 7 Tössbo Company
4 Kullings Company 8 Sundals Company

Companies 1 - 4 formed the Life Battalion and companies 4 - 8 the Dal Battalion.

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Lützen

1632

Lund

1676

Leipzig

1642

Gadebusch

1712

The regiments

15, The Västmanland Regiment, I18  

Swedish name: Västmanlands regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1623 as the Västmanland Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1682.

The regiment was disestablished in 1927. The tradition of the regiment was then forwarded to the Air Force, The Västmanland Wing (Västmanlands flygflottilj). The Wing was disestablished in 1982.
It is unusual for an air wing to get the permission to carry the Victorious Battle Campaigns of an infantry regiment.

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Västmanland in the 16th century. In 1617, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the Västmanland fänikor and from fänikor in the provinces of Dalarna and Uppland.

In 1623 the Grand Regiment was split up into three independent regiments, The Västmanland Regiment, The Uppland Regiment and The Dalecarlia Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Västmanland Regiment was then referred to as the "15th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1200 rotar.
Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. The regiment's "rotar" were located within the counties of Västmanland (940), Örebro (55) and Kopparberg (205).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Hundra härads Company, Rassbo Company, Siggetuna Company, Lagunda Company and Bälings Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with yellow cuffs (1675). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1691.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1906, Västerås. Training camp: First Västerås and Utnäs löt , Strömsholm and from 1780 Salbohed, Sala.

The Official Regimental Colors: White and blue

Companies 1854:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Västerås Company
2 Folkare Company 6 Strömsholms Company
3 Väsby Company 7 Bergs Company
4 Salbergs Company 8 Kungsörs Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):  

Narva* 1700 Helsingborg 1710
Düna 1701 Gadebusch 1712
Kliszow* 1702 Walkiala 1790
Fraustadt* 1706

The battle names above marked with a "*"  are the Battle Campaigns the regiment carries in the Regimental Colors. However, according to the Army Colors Committee of 1892 the regiment also have the right to carry the battle names without an "*". 

The regiments

16, The Västerbotten Regiment, I19 (I20) 

Swedish name: Västerbottens regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1623 as the Västerbotten Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in February 29 1696.

In 1829 the regiment received the name The Västerbotten Rifle Regiment (Västerbottens fältjägarregemente, I19). In 1841 the regiment is split up into The Västerbotten Rifle Regiment respectively The Norrbotten Rifle Regiment.
In 1892 the Västerbotten regiment once again received the name The Västerbotten Regiment (Västerbottens regemente, I20).

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the region of Norrland in the 1550's. In 1565 there was a Västerbotten fänika (Västerbotten is in the region of Norrland).
King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from these Norrland "fänikor" in 1615. This grand regiment was called The Norrland Grand Regiment (Norrlands storregemente) and numbered 3000 soldiers. 2000 of those solders came from the former county of Grand Västernorrland (Stor Västernorrland) and 1000 from the county of Österbotten (Österbotten is actually in today's Finland. However, Finland was a part of Sweden until 1809).

In 1623 the Grand Norrland Regiment was divided into two independent regiments, The Hälsinge Regiment and The Västerbotten Regiment.
The Hälsinge Regiment's "rotar" were located in southern Norrland and the Västerbotten Regiment's "rotar" in northern Norrland. The "rotar" in the provinces of Medelpad and Ångermanland (in mid Norrland) belonged to the Västerbotten Regiment.
The companies (of the Västerbotten Regiment) in the provinces of Medelpad and Ångermanland were transferred in 1646 to the new regiment; The Ångermanland-, Medelpad- and Jämtlands Regiment. Later this regiment received the name, the Jämtland Rifle Regiment (Jämtlands fältjägarregemente).

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Västerbotten Regiment was then referred to as the "16th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1056 rotar.
Hence, the Regiment had 1056 soldiers organized into 8 companies. The regiment's rotar" were located within the counties of Västerbotten and Österbotten.
In 1809 when Sweden lost Finland to Russia the Västerbotten Regiment lost its 113 "rotar" in Österbotten (Österbotten is in today's Finland). After 1809 the Västerbotten Regiment therefore only had 943 "rotar".
After 1841, when the regiment was divided, the regiment formed 4 companies of 460 soldiers. The rest of the "rotar" (483) was transferred to a new regiment, The Norrbotten Regiment.

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Lövangers Company, Kalix Company, Bygdeå Company, Skellefteå Company and Piteå Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with white cuffs (1679). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in1694.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1909, Umeå. Training camp: Between 1649 and 1898 Gumboda, Umeå Kronoparken and from 1898 Vännäs.

The Official Regimental Colors: Red and white

Regimental Motto: De hava aldrig svikit eller för egen del tappat.

Commemoration Day February 3 (in memory of the battle at Fraustadt in 1706.)

Companies 1841:
No The Västerbotten Regiment No The Norbotten Regiment
1 Life Company 1 Life Company
2 Skellefteå Company 2 Piteå Company
3 Bygdeå Company 3 Kalix Company
4 Lövångers Company 4 Räneå Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Landskrona 1677 Fraustadt 1706
Düna 1701 Malatitze 1708
Kliszow 1702 Strömstad 1717

The regiments

17, The Kalmar Regiment, I20  

Swedish name: Kalmar regemente.

The regiment was first established in June 17th 1623 as the Kalmar Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in February 26th 1686.

The regiment was disestablished in 1927. This year the Kalmar Regiment was merged with the Jönköping Regiment and formed a new regiment called the Jönköping-Kalmar regiment. The name was later changed to The North Småland Regiment (Norra Smålands regemente, I12).

The regiment's history goes back to the "fänikor" that was raised in the province of Småland (the counties of Kalmar and Kronoberg) in the 1560's.
In 1616 King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from these Småland "fänikor".
In 1623 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Kronoberg Regiment and the Kalmar Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Kalmar regiment was then referred to as the "17th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted with 1100 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment had 1100 soldiers organized into 8 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the eastern parts of Småland (347 in the county of Kalmar, 401 in the county of Jönköping and 352 in the county of Kronobergs).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682: The Life Company, The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, The Major's Company, Östra Härads Company, Uppvidinge Company, Västra Härads Company, Aspolands härads Company and Konga härads Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with green cuffs (1676). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1692.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1918, Eksjö. Training camp: 1685 Staby ängar, Oskarshamn, 1783 Mariannelund, Hultsfred) and from 1797 Hultsfred.
Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment for The North Småland Regiment: Eksjö.

The Official Regimental Colors: Red and yellow

Companies 1854:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Seveds Company
2 Vedbo Company 6 Uppvidinge Company
3 Aspelands Company 7 Västra Härads Company
4 Östra Härads Company 8 Konga Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns (segernamn):

Tåget över Bält 1658 Helsingborg 1710
Landskrona 1677 Svensksund 1790
Clissow 1702

The regiments

19, The Närke-Värmland Regiment, I21/I22 (Life Regiment Grenadiers, I3

Swedish name: Närke-Värmlands regemente.

The regiment was first established in 1624 as the Närke-Värmland Regiment. The Närke part of the regiment was linked to the Allotment System in May 11th 1686 and the Värmland part in June 25th 1688.

The regiment was divided in 1812 into two new regiments, The Närke Regiment (I21) and the Värmland Regiment (I22).

The history of the Närke-Värmland Regiment goes back to the "fänikor" that were raised in the provinces of Värmland and Dalsland in the 16th century.
In 1614, King Gustav II Adolf formed a "landsregemente" - a Grand Regiment, from the "fänikor" in the provinces of Värmland, Närke and Södermanland. This grand regiment numbered 3600 soldiers.
In 1624 the Grand Regiment was split up into two independent regiments, The Södermanland Regiment and the Närke-Värmland Regiment.

As a result of the Constitution adopted in 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Närke-Värmland regiment was then referred to as the "19th Regiment".

The regiment was allotted had a total of  1674 "rotar".
Hence, the Regiment 1674 soldiers organized into 10 companies. All of the "rotar" were located within the provinces of Närke and Värmland.
(474 "rotar" formed 3 companies in Närke and 1200 "rotar" formed 7 companies in Värmland).

Names of the Companies making up the Regiment in 1682:
Närke; The Life Company, The Major's Company and Örebro Company.
Värmland; The Lieutenant Colonel's Company, Kristinehamns Company, Älvdals Company, Karlstads Company, Jösse härads Company, Näs Company (Näs härads company) and Nordmarks Company.

Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with blue cuffs (1675) and Red coat with white cuffs (1676). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1691.

Training camp: Between 1684 and 1817 1774 Västra fältet in Kristinehamn.

Companies before 1812:

Nr Company Nr Company
1 Life Company 6 Jösse härads company
(or 3rd Major’s Company)
2 Lieutenant Colonel's company 7 Älvdals company
3 Major's company 8 Näs company
4 Örebro company 9 Karlstads company
(or 2nd Major’s company)
5 Kristinehamns company 10 Nordmarks company

See also: Campaigns of the Närke-Värmland Regiment.

Rote numbers and rote names at Närke-Värmland regiment prior to 1812   

The Närke Regiment (from 1812):
The Närke Regiment was established when the Närke-Värmland Regiment was divided in 1812.

In 1893 the regiment was merged with the Grenadier Corps of the Life Regiment (Livregementets grenadjärkår) and the new regiment received the name the Life Regiment of Foot (Livregementet till fot). The Närke soldiers formed the regiment's 2nd battalion. In 1904 the regiment received the name the Life Regiment Grenadiers (Livregementets grenadjärer, I3).

The regiment was disestablished in 1992. Today a local defense district unit (försvarsområdesförband) carry the same name.

The new Närke Regiment had 766 "rotar" in 1812 (474 in the county of Örebro and 292 in the eastern parts of the county of Värmland).
The 292 rotar in eastern Värmland; in Visnum Härad, Ölme Härad and Väse Härad (including a few rotar in Karlstad’s and Kil’s härader), that belonged to the former Närke-Värmlands regiment, were now assigned to the new Närke regiment.

In order to separate the Värmland regiment’s and Närke regiment’s enrollment areas a border line was drawn along the River Klarälven, which runs in a north-south direction through the province of Värmland. Every rote east of the river now belonged the Närke regiment, i.e. Alster Company, Ölme Company and Visnum Company.

The three old companies of the Närke-Värmland Regiment (the Life Company, the Major's Company and Örebro Company), in total 158 soldiers, were reorganized into 5 smaller companies and the number per company was reduced to 95 soldiers. The three companies in Värmland numbered 98, 97 and 97 soldiers respectively.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1912, Örebro. Training camp: From 1767 Sannaheden.

The Official Regimental Colors: White and blue (Life Regiment Grenadiers )

Regimental Motto: Artibus et armis recuperatur gloria (Vetande och vapen skänker ära).

Companies after 1812:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Alsters Company
2 Askersunds Company 6 Edsbergs Company
3 Örebro Company 7 Ölme Company
4 Kumla Company 8 Visnums Company


Companies after 1893:

No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Östra Närkes Company
2 Södermanlands Company 6 Askersunds Company
3 Kungsörs Company 7 Västra Närkes Company
4 Örebro Company 8 Kristinehamns Company

Victorious Battle Campaigns of the Life Regiment Grenadiers (Livregementes Grenadjärer) (Segernamn):

Lützen

1632

Narva

1700

Oldendorf

1633

Düna

1701

Wittstock

1636

Kliszow

1702

Leipzig

1656

Holovczyn

1708

Fredriksodde

1657

Malatitze

1708

Tåget över Bält

1658

Helsingborg

1710

Lund

1676

Gadebusch

1712

Landskrona

1677

Svensksund

1790

 

The Värmland Regiment, I2 (from 1812):
The Värmland Regiment was established when the Närke-Värmland Regiment was divided in 1812.
In 1939 the regiment was organized as a bicycle regiment.


The new Värmland Regiment had 908 "rotar" (all located within Värmland) organized into 8 companies.
I
n order to separate the Värmland regiment’s and Närke regiment’s enrollment areas a border line was drawn along the River Klarälven, which runs in a north-south direction through the province of Värmland. Every rote west of the river belonged the Värmland regiment.
At the parliament meetings 1892/93 it was decided that every infantry regiment were supposed to have a strength of 1,000 men. For the Värmland regiment this implied a reinforcement when 149 rotar of the Life Regiment of Foot (former Närke regiment) were transformed to the Värmland regiment. These 149 rotar were primarily from Alster Company.
So, from 1893 the Alster Company belonged to the Värmland regiment.

Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: From 1913, Karlstad. Training camp: From 1812 Varpnäs mo, Karlstad, from 1834 Trossnäs fält.

The Official Regimental Colors: Yellow and black

Companies after 1812:
No Company No Company
1 Life Company 5 Grums Company
(former Näs Company)
2 Kils Company 6 Nordmarks Company
3 Jösse Company 7 Näs Company
4 Älvdals Company 8 Gillbergs Company

The Victorious Battle Campaigns of the Närke-Värmland Regiment (Segernamn):

Fredriksodde

1657

Düna

1701

Tåget över B����lt

1658

Kliszow

1702

Lund

1676

Fraustadt

1706

Landskrona

1677

Malatitze

1708

Narva

1700

Gadebusch

1712

The regiments

Top of page

Sources:

  1. Arméns förband, skolor och staber, Björn Holmberg, 1993.
  2. Från Brunkeberg till Nordanvind, 500 år med svenskt infanteri, Bertil Nelsson, 1993.
  3. "Statistiskt sammandrag af svenska indelningsverket, 2: bandet" (Statistical Digest of the Swedish Allotment System) by C. Grill from 1856, published by Svenska Släktforskningsförbundet 1988.
  4. Kungliga Södermanlands regemente under 350 år, 1977
  5. Närkingar i krig och fred. Närkes militärhistoria, del I. Stiftelsen Nerekies regementen 1989.
  6. Karoliner, Alf Åberg, Göte Göransson, 1976
  7. Kung. Södermanlands regemente, utgiven 1935 av Generalstabens krigshistoriska avdelning och Södermanlands regemente.
  8. Svenska regementenas historia, J Mankell, andra upplagan 1866.
  9. Huvudstadens hästar, Höjerings Stockholmia serie, 1990. Uppsatser av 18 författare.
  10. Svenska krig 1521 - 1814, Ulf Sundberg, 1998.
  11. Den Karolinska Arméns uniformer under Stora Nordiska Kriget, Lars-Eric Höglund, 1995.
  12. Skånska kriget 1675 - 79, Fanor och uniformer, Lars-Eric Höglund, 1999.
  13. Rulla över befälskårerna vid Sveriges armé och flotta 1755, Ulla Johansson, 1976.
  14. Namnlistor över officerskårerna vid svenska sk. männingsregementen till häst och ståndsdragoner under Det Stora Nordiska kriget, V. Hamilton, C. H. Kreüger och E. Leijonhufvud, 1916.
  15. Namnlistor över officerskårerna vid svenska sk. männingsregementen till fot under Det Stora Nordiska kriget, E. Leijonhufvud, 1918.

 

Top of page

  Hans Högman
email

Copyright © Hans Högman, reviewed 2013-03-28 15:41