Military Hans Högman
Copyright © Hans Högman 2019-05-20

Regiments in Finland during the Swedish Allotment System - Infantry

Infantry Regiments:

6. Regiments in Finland - Infantry

Introduction

Finland was a fully consolidated part of Sweden until 1809 and was under the same political and juridical administration as the rest of Sweden. Finland was one of four Swedish regions or "lands" (landsdelar); Svealand, Götaland, Norrland and Finland. Many regiments were established in the Finland part of Sweden, both infantry and cavalry. The majority of the soldiers in the regiments in Finland were Finnish, while the majority of the officers came from today’s part of Sweden. The ethnic Finnish population of Finland spoke Finnish but the military command language was Swedish. There was a reason for this. When a soldier or an officer was transferred to another regiment they had to understand the commands independent of where in Sweden the regiment was garrisoned. The Finns were very able and loyal soldiers of the Swedish Army. Finland was lost to Russia in a war which ended in 1809.

Infantry Regiments in Finland

Seven of the original 20 Swedish infantry regiments were established in Finland: 1. 3, Åbo County Infantry Regiment (1025 soldiers) 2. 6, Björneborg Regiment (1025 soldiers) 3. 9, Tavastehus Regiment (1025 soldiers) 4. 13, Viborg County Infantry Regiment (1000 soldiers). From 1721 County of Kymmenegård Regiment. 5. 14, Savolaks Regiment (1037 soldiers) 6. 18, Nyland Infantry Regiment (1025 soldiers) 7. 20, Österbotten Regiment (1200 soldiers) Other regiments/units in Finland: Savolaks Rifle Corps (1745), from 1789 the Savolaks Rifle Regiment (enlisted regiment) Kajana Company/Battalion Vasa Regiment Uleåborg Battalion All the regiments established in Finland were disestablished in 1809 when Sweden had to surrender Finland to Russia (The Swedish Russian war of 1808 - 1809). Map of the counties in Finland (According to the Swedish Constitution of 1634) Finland in the Allotment System (Indelningsverket)

After the Great Nordic War (1700 - 1721)

According to peace treaty in 1721 Sweden had to surrender parts of southeast Finland, the Karelian Isthmus, to Russia. This area had throughout the centuries been a Swedish buffer zone towards Russia. The Swedish fortresses in Karelia, Vyborg (Viborg - Swe) and Kexholm, now fell into Russian hands. On the Swedish side of the new borderline there were still the fortresses Nyslott and Villmanstrand. The Swedish allotted regimets established in Karelia was also lost to Russia. The "rote"-farmers used for providing the soldiers were now Russian subjects. Of the regiments in Finland there were now only about 2000 soldiers left at the end of the war. A great deal of soldiers in Finland had been lost on the mountains between the province of Jämtland, Sweden and Norway during the Armfeldt campaign in the winter of 1718. The population in Finland at this time, in the 1720's, has been estimated to as few as 325,000. This made it very difficult to replace all the lost soldiers of the regiments in Finland.

Swedish name: Åbo läns infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Åbo County Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1694. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Åbo County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "3rd Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with yellow cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Åbo. Training camp: Kuppis malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Nykyrko Company 5. Letala Company 6. Loimijoki Company 7. Nousis Company 8. Bjärnå Company

Swedish name: Björneborgs regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Björneborg Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1694. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Björneborg Regiment was then referred to as the "6th Regiment". In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from the Life Dragoon Regiment (Livdragonregementet) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with blue cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with red cuffs. The first part of the regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1689, the rest of the regiment in 1692. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Björneborg Training camp: ?? Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Vesilax Company 5. Eura Company 6. Ruovesi Company 7. Kyrro Company 8. Kumo Company

Swedish name: Tavastehus regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Tavastehus Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Tavastehus Regiment was then referred to as the "9th Regiment". In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from the Tavastehus and Nyland Cavalry Regiment (Tavastehus och Nylands kavalleriregemente) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with blue cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1696. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Tavastehus. Training camp: Parola, Tavastehus Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Sysmä Company 5. Sääksmäki Company 6. Assikkala Company 7. Jämsä Company 8. Rautalampi Company

Swedish name: Viborgs läns infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Viborg County Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Viborg County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "13th Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1000 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1000 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Between 1672 and 1674 red coat, in 1676 blue coat with white cuffs, in 1677 blue coat with yellow cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with red cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1709. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: ?? Companies before 1721: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Vekelax Company 5. Elimä Company 6. Eurepä Company 7. Lappvesi Company 8. Ruokolax Company Companies after 1721: 1. (Life Company) 2. Life Company (formerly Lieutenant Colonel's Company) 3. (Major’s Company) 4. Vekelax Company 5. Elimä Company 6. (Eurepä Company) 7. Lappvesi Company 8. Ruokolax Company Companies in red were companies established in locations lost in the peace treaty. Campanies after 1743: 1. Major’s Company 2. Elimä Company

Swedish name: Savolax regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1626 as Savolax and Nyslott County Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1695. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to Gustav Horn Regiment. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Savolax Regiment was then referred to as the "14th Regiment". The Savolax Regiment was disestablished in 1662. In this year the regiment was merged with East Nyland Infantry Regiment (Östra Nylands infanteriregemente). This regiment was disestablished in 1695 when the New Allotment System was introduced to the regiments in Finland. Savolax Regiment was once again established at that time. The regiment was allotted with 1037 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1037 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Between 1672 and 1674 green coat, in 1676 blue coat with red cuffs and from 1677 blue coat with yellow. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1709. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: S:t Mickels malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Kuopio Company 5. Pumala Company 6. Jokkas Company 7. Piexämäki Company 8. Idensalmi Company

Swedish name: Nylands infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in 1633 as Nyland Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Nyland Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "18th Regiment". The Nyland Infantry Regiment was reorganized with the remains of the disestablished Eastern Nyland Regiment in 1695 and from Western Nyland and Tavastehus Infantry Regiment in 1696. In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from Tavastehus and Nyland Cavalry Regiment (Tavastehus och Nylands kavalleriregemente) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with yellow cuffs (1678). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: Lohjo malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel’s Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Borgå Company 5. Helsinge Company 6. Lojo Company 7. Ingå Company 8. Karis Company

Swedish name: Österbottens regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Österbotten Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1733. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Åbo County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "20th Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with red cuffs and from 1677 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Vasa. Training camp: Vasa and Uleåborg Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel’s Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Lohteå Company 5. Kemi Company 6. Närpes Company 7. Pyhäjoki Company 8. Ilmola Company

Swedish name: Kajana jägarbataljon

Kajana Rifle Battalion was established in 1788? and numbered then 149 soldiers. The battalion was a part of Österbotten Regiment as its 9th Company. The battalion was extended in 1791 to 348 soldiers organized into 4 companies. 1. Life Company: 91 soldiers from Paldamo parish 2. Sotkamo Company: 118 soldiers from Sotkamo parish 3. Hyrynsalmi Company: 91 soldiers from Hyrynsalmi parish 4. Kusamo Company: 48 soldiers from Kusamo parish

Swedish name: Kareliska jägarbataljonen

The battalion was established in 1789 as an enlisted unit and numbered 200 soldiers organized into 2 companies. The battalion was later extended to 400 soldiers organized into 4 companies. In 1802 the battalion counted 600 soldiers. Companies: 1. Life Company, 150 soldiers 2. Leibelitz Company: 150 soldiers 3. Pielis Company: 150 soldiers 4. Pelgj?vi Company: 150 soldiers

Swedish name: Savolax jägarregemente

The unit was established in 1745 in Savolax as Savolax Rifle Corps (Savolax jägarkår or Savolax fotjägare). (some sources list 1771 as the year of establishment). The unit numbered 600 soldiers organized into 6 companies. Companies: 1. Life Company, 100 soldiers 2. Major’s Company: 100 soldiers 3. Kangasniemi Company: 100 soldiers 4. Menduharju Company: 100 soldiers 5. Randasalmi Company: 100 soldiers 6. Sulkava Company: 100 soldiers The Corps received status as a regiment in 1789 by the name Savolax Rifle Regiment (Savolax jägarregemente). In 1790 the regiment counted 798 soldiers an in 1802 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies.

Related Links

The Allotment System Swedish Wars The Navy & the Army Fleet Swedish Military Unit Designations Swedish Military Branch and Unit Insignias Uniforms of the Swedish Army Source References Top of page
3.  Åbo County Infantry Regiment
6. Björneborg Regiment
9. Tavastehus Regiment
13. Viborg County Infantry Regiment
14. Savolax Regiment
18. Nyland Infantry Regiment
20. Österbotten Regiment
Kajana Rifle Battalion
Karelian Rifle Battalion
Savolax Rifle Regiment
xxxxx Swegen xxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Military Hans Högman
Copyright © Hans Högman 2019-05-20

Regiments in Finland during the

Swedish Allotment System -

Infantry

Infantry Regiments:

6. Regiments in Finland -

Infantry

Introduction

Finland was a fully consolidated part of Sweden until 1809 and was under the same political and juridical administration as the rest of Sweden. Finland was one of four Swedish regions or "lands" (landsdelar); Svealand, Götaland, Norrland and Finland. Many regiments were established in the Finland part of Sweden, both infantry and cavalry. The majority of the soldiers in the regiments in Finland were Finnish, while the majority of the officers came from today’s part of Sweden. The ethnic Finnish population of Finland spoke Finnish but the military command language was Swedish. There was a reason for this. When a soldier or an officer was transferred to another regiment they had to understand the commands independent of where in Sweden the regiment was garrisoned. The Finns were very able and loyal soldiers of the Swedish Army. Finland was lost to Russia in a war which ended in 1809.

Infantry Regiments in Finland

Seven of the original 20 Swedish infantry regiments were established in Finland: 1. 3, Åbo County Infantry Regiment (1025 soldiers) 2. 6, Björneborg Regiment (1025 soldiers) 3. 9, Tavastehus Regiment (1025 soldiers) 4. 13, Viborg County Infantry Regiment (1000 soldiers). From 1721 County of Kymmenegård Regiment. 5. 14, Savolaks Regiment (1037 soldiers) 6. 18, Nyland Infantry Regiment (1025 soldiers) 7. 20, Österbotten Regiment (1200 soldiers) Other regiments/units in Finland: Savolaks Rifle Corps (1745), from 1789 the Savolaks Rifle Regiment (enlisted regiment) Kajana Company/Battalion Vasa Regiment Uleåborg Battalion All the regiments established in Finland were disestablished in 1809 when Sweden had to surrender Finland to Russia (The Swedish Russian war of 1808 - 1809). Map of the counties in Finland (According to the Swedish Constitution of 1634) Finland in the Allotment System (Indelningsverket)

After the Great Nordic War (1700 - 1721)

According to peace treaty in 1721 Sweden had to surrender parts of southeast Finland, the Karelian Isthmus, to Russia. This area had throughout the centuries been a Swedish buffer zone towards Russia. The Swedish fortresses in Karelia, Vyborg (Viborg - Swe) and Kexholm, now fell into Russian hands. On the Swedish side of the new borderline there were still the fortresses Nyslott and Villmanstrand. The Swedish allotted regimets established in Karelia was also lost to Russia. The "rote"-farmers used for providing the soldiers were now Russian subjects. Of the regiments in Finland there were now only about 2000 soldiers left at the end of the war. A great deal of soldiers in Finland had been lost on the mountains between the province of Jämtland, Sweden and Norway during the Armfeldt campaign in the winter of 1718. The population in Finland at this time, in the 1720's, has been estimated to as few as 325,000. This made it very difficult to replace all the lost soldiers of the regiments in Finland.

Swedish name: Åbo läns infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Åbo County Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1694. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Åbo County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "3rd Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with yellow cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Åbo. Training camp: Kuppis malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Nykyrko Company 5. Letala Company 6. Loimijoki Company 7. Nousis Company 8. Bjärnå Company

Swedish name: Björneborgs regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Björneborg Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1694. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Björneborg Regiment was then referred to as the "6th Regiment". In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from the Life Dragoon Regiment (Livdragonregementet) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Red coat with blue cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with red cuffs. The first part of the regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1689, the rest of the regiment in 1692. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Björneborg Training camp: ?? Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Vesilax Company 5. Eura Company 6. Ruovesi Company 7. Kyrro Company 8. Kumo Company

Swedish name: Tavastehus regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Tavastehus Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Tavastehus Regiment was then referred to as the "9th Regiment". In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from the Tavastehus and Nyland Cavalry Regiment (Tavastehus och Nylands kavalleriregemente) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Grey coat with blue cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1696. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Tavastehus. Training camp: Parola, Tavastehus Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Sysmä Company 5. Sääksmäki Company 6. Assikkala Company 7. Jämsä Company 8. Rautalampi Company

Swedish name: Viborgs läns

infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Viborg County Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Viborg County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "13th Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1000 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1000 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Between 1672 and 1674 red coat, in 1676 blue coat with white cuffs, in 1677 blue coat with yellow cuffs and from 1678 blue coat with red cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1709. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: ?? Companies before 1721: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Vekelax Company 5. Elimä Company 6. Eurepä Company 7. Lappvesi Company 8. Ruokolax Company Companies after 1721: 1. (Life Company) 2. Life Company (formerly Lieutenant Colonel's Company) 3. (Major’s Company) 4. Vekelax Company 5. Elimä Company 6. (Eurepä Company) 7. Lappvesi Company 8. Ruokolax Company Companies in red were companies established in locations lost in the peace treaty. Campanies after 1743: 1. Major’s Company 2. Elimä Company

Swedish name: Savolax regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1626 as Savolax and Nyslott County Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1695. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to Gustav Horn Regiment. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Savolax Regiment was then referred to as the "14th Regiment". The Savolax Regiment was disestablished in 1662. In this year the regiment was merged with East Nyland Infantry Regiment (Östra Nylands infanteriregemente). This regiment was disestablished in 1695 when the New Allotment System was introduced to the regiments in Finland. Savolax Regiment was once again established at that time. The regiment was allotted with 1037 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1037 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Between 1672 and 1674 green coat, in 1676 blue coat with red cuffs and from 1677 blue coat with yellow. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1709. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: S:t Mickels malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel's Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Kuopio Company 5. Pumala Company 6. Jokkas Company 7. Piexämäki Company 8. Idensalmi Company

Swedish name: Nylands infanteriregemente

The regiment was first established in 1633 as Nyland Infantry Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1696. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Nyland Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "18th Regiment". The Nyland Infantry Regiment was reorganized with the remains of the disestablished Eastern Nyland Regiment in 1695 and from Western Nyland and Tavastehus Infantry Regiment in 1696. In 1791 the regiment was extended with a battalion from Tavastehus and Nyland Cavalry Regiment (Tavastehus och Nylands kavalleriregemente) and then reorganized into light infantry. The regiment was allotted with 1025 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1025 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with yellow cuffs (1678). The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: ??. Training camp: Lohjo malm Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel’s Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Borgå Company 5. Helsinge Company 6. Lojo Company 7. Ingå Company 8. Karis Company

Swedish name: Österbottens regemente

The regiment was first established in the 1620's as Österbotten Regiment. The regiment was linked to the Allotment System in 1733. The regiment was disestablished in 1809. The regiment's history goes back to the Finnish Grand Regiment. In 1620's the Grand Regiment was split up into three smaller units. As a result of the constitution of 1634 the Army was reorganized. The Åbo County Infantry Regiment was then referred to as the "20th Regiment". The regiment was allotted with 1200 "rotar". Hence, the Regiment had 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies. Uniform before the standard uniform: Blue coat with red cuffs and from 1677 blue coat with yellow cuffs. The regiment received the standard uniform (the blue and yellow Carolean uniform) in 1688. Location of the primary Garrison of the Regiment: Vasa. Training camp: Vasa and Uleåborg Companies: 1. Life Company 2. Lieutenant Colonel’s Company 3. Major’s Company 4. Lohteå Company 5. Kemi Company 6. Närpes Company 7. Pyhäjoki Company 8. Ilmola Company

Swedish name: Kajana jägarbataljon

Kajana Rifle Battalion was established in 1788? and numbered then 149 soldiers. The battalion was a part of Österbotten Regiment as its 9th Company. The battalion was extended in 1791 to 348 soldiers organized into 4 companies. 1. Life Company: 91 soldiers from Paldamo parish 2. Sotkamo Company: 118 soldiers from Sotkamo parish 3. Hyrynsalmi Company: 91 soldiers from Hyrynsalmi parish 4. Kusamo Company: 48 soldiers from Kusamo parish

Swedish name: Kareliska jägarbataljonen

The battalion was established in 1789 as an enlisted unit and numbered 200 soldiers organized into 2 companies. The battalion was later extended to 400 soldiers organized into 4 companies. In 1802 the battalion counted 600 soldiers. Companies: 1. Life Company, 150 soldiers 2. Leibelitz Company: 150 soldiers 3. Pielis Company: 150 soldiers 4. Pelgj?vi Company: 150 soldiers

Swedish name: Savolax jägarregemente

The unit was established in 1745 in Savolax as Savolax Rifle Corps (Savolax jägarkår or Savolax fotjägare). (some sources list 1771 as the year of establishment). The unit numbered 600 soldiers organized into 6 companies. Companies: 1. Life Company, 100 soldiers 2. Major’s Company: 100 soldiers 3. Kangasniemi Company: 100 soldiers 4. Menduharju Company: 100 soldiers 5. Randasalmi Company: 100 soldiers 6. Sulkava Company: 100 soldiers The Corps received status as a regiment in 1789 by the name Savolax Rifle Regiment (Savolax jägarregemente). In 1790 the regiment counted 798 soldiers an in 1802 1200 soldiers organized into 8 companies.

Related Links

The Allotment System Swedish Wars The Navy & the Army Fleet Swedish Military Unit Designations Swedish Military Branch and Unit Insignias Uniforms of the Swedish Army Source References Top of page
3.  Åbo County Infantry Regiment

Björneborg Regiment

Tavastehus Regiment

Viborg County Infantry Regiment

Savolax Regiment

Nyland Infantry Regiment

Österbotten Regiment

Kajana Rifle Battalion

Karelian Rifle Battalion

Savolax Rifle Regiment